Abortion & Children in the Bible.
I have heard that God hates abortion and how important the sanctity of life is. All of this because of “feels” and a verse in the Bible where Yahweh said, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” – Jeremiah 1:5
Let’s take a good look at the first part – “Before I formed you in the womb…” That is not a “baby”. That isn’t even a physical being.
God does actually instruct Moses to have women perform a “purity test” if her husband suspected her of cheating. The test would result in an abortion. Numbers 5:11-31.
So what does Yahweh really think about the sanctity of life and of children.
Yahweh’s stance on this does not weigh in on my own feelings about abortion.
Ten biblical episodes and prophecies provide an unequivocal expression of God’s attitude toward human life, especially the ontological status of “unborn children” and their pregnant mothers-to-be. Brief summaries:
- A pregnant woman who is injured and aborts the fetus warrants financial compensation only (to her husband), suggesting that the fetus is property, not a person (Exodus 21:22-25).
- The gruesome priestly purity test to which a wife accused of adultery must submit will cause her to abort the fetus if she is guilty, indicating that the fetus does not possess a right to life (Numbers 5:11-31).
- God enumerated his punishments for disobedience, including “cursed shall be the fruit of your womb” and “you will eat the fruit of your womb,” directly contradicting sanctity-of-life claims (Deuteronomy 28:18,53).
- Elisha’s prophecy for soon-to-be King Hazael said he would attack the Israelites, burn their cities, crush the heads of their babies and rip open their pregnant women (2 Kings 8:12).
- King Menahem of Israel destroyed Tiphsah (also called Tappuah) and the surrounding towns, killing all residents and ripping open pregnant women with the sword (2 Kings 15:16).
- Isaiah prophesied doom for Babylon, including the murder of unborn children: “They will have no pity on the fruit of the womb” (Isaiah 13:18).
- For worshiping idols, God declared that not one of his people would live, not a man, woman or child (not even babies in arms), again confuting assertions about the sanctity of life (Jeremiah 44:7-8).
- God will punish the Israelites by destroying their unborn children, who will die at birth, or perish in the womb, or never even be conceived (Hosea 9:10-16).
- For rebelling against God, Samaria’s people will be killed, their babies will be dashed to death against the ground, and their pregnant women will be ripped open with a sword (Hosea 13:16).
- Jesus did not express any special concern for unborn children during the anticipated end times: “Woe to pregnant women and those who are nursing” (Matthew 24:19).
I’ve seen this posted on many different sites. I used https://ffrf.org/component/k2/item/25602-abortion-rights